View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
junksaver

Re: Front differential locker, posi, open...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
The best differential for snowy and icy roads is an open differential. An open diff will prevent the front end from sliding sideways on a side hill, and plowing straight ahead in a turn. You will have better feel for the road and will be able to turn sharper.
An ARB or E-locker that is selectable is the second best, you have the advantages of an open diff when needed, but can lock it up when needed. I found I would rarely use my ARB front diff locked in, so my current trial rig is still open in front. (and I have a winch)
A limited slip like a Detroit True Trac would be the next best, but I found them to pull you side to side in snow ruts, and slush, a lot more then an open diff.
A true Locker will make it seam like your rig does not want to turn a corner, it will just go straight because both tires are turning at the same speed.
I would keep it as an open diff, or put an ARB in it.
Having a locker or True Track in the rear would probably be the best way to go, that's how my 69 K20 is set up... it drives great in the snow.
Well said. To the OP all you need is an open differential. Just get that and don't even think twice about it. You only need a locker in the front for hard core wheeling. I would venture to say 99% of people with old trucks like us don't wheel them hard enough for a front locker.
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote