View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
BK4020

Re: 84 GMC straight 6 repower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I looked at a 720 a few weeks ago that was stuck and in worse shape than my old A. I got shell shocked when the guy threw a $3500 price on it. I told him thanks and have a good one. Haha
Haha yeah that seems like a bit much, around here they seem to bring a lot running or not, gas or diesel. I'll admit an electric start diesel would be kick ass one day though.

So my dad and I have been working on this thing since last fall. It's a 1966 John Deere 2510 had a 180 cubic inch gas in it originally, it actually didnt run to bad once we got it running but we acquired a 239 cubic inch 4 cylinder diesel that would bolt right in, and ohh yeah it has a turbo on it! So went through the front end, all the throttle and shift linkage, differential, steering motor, final drives, wiring, hyd. pump, clutch, and everything else except the transmission and steering valve. Finally got it all together and running took it out this spring and got it hot for the first time, found that the block was cracked from the water jacket to the outside. Someone had left water in it over the winter at one time and made a 3 inch crack that only would seep a little once it got warmed up. It was in a horrible spot right by the injection pump and none of us ever noticed it. So, the barley pops started flowing early that saturday afternoon, haha.

We decided to dyno it before we tore the engine down to see how many ponies it actually had. Came away with 90 hp and 835 ft. lbs. of torque at the pto, originally the gas engine shouldve made around 50 hp so I was pretty happy with that. Pto clutch held just fine, I turned the pump up 1/4 turn and is maxed out now, I do want to tear the pump apart and see if i can get some more fuel out of it but we'll see. Long story since then, but we just got a different block back from the machinist last week, so now its going back together again. Have a few other things to finish up on it then paint.
Attached Images