View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #246
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

Starting aids...

Detroit Diesels do not normally have starting aids. The aid that I have seen and heard of most often is a fixed ether injection system. I'm not fan of ether - I think that it is very hard on the engine. For me, it is a last resort.

So, I started thinking about other options. My '91 Dodge W250 CTD and my '61 Ford 641D backhoe have inlet air heaters. I looked into the available heaters and found one that would fit into the air inlet housing.

Name:  Air inlet housing with heater top view.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  62.2 KB

I purchased the appropriate aluminum bung (M22 X 1.5) and welded it into the air inlet housing. The heater is in the center of the airflow coming from the intercooler - the perfect spot.

Name:  Air inlet housing with heater rear view.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  65.3 KB

I blasted and painted the housing and then re-installed it on the engine.

Name:  Air inlet housing with heater installed.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  86.2 KB

I'm happy with the way it looks. Now, I have to paint the rest of the engine...

Several years ago, I purchased a set of pristine '72 doors from a member of this board. I installed them to see how they look.

Name:  Left door front gap.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  61.5 KB
Name:  Left door rear gap.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  50.8 KB

When the rear gap is perfect and they line up with the body lines, the window frame gaps are not even. The window frames are straight, the cab is not. I haven't decided if I will do anything about this or not. I know that the fits were not good from the factory and I know that the previous doors did not fit better.

It offends my sensibilities to make straight window frames curved to fit the cab and I can't see a good way to modify the cab to make it straight...
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote