View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #181
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

What is it about electricity?

Every used vehicle that I have purchased has included some electrical modification(s) by the previous owner(s). Every one of the modifications have been dangerous in some way. For one, none of the modifications have included proper circuit protection. Most have included lamp cord - not the best for automotive wiring, few have included any protection from chafing, etc. It has all been bad.

My '72 was no exception. The only difference was that the previous owner(s) were good at hiding their sins. I didn't find the poor wiring until I took the truck apart. Then, I couldn't believe that I had driven it for 5 years without having a fire. I'm happy to be lucky...

I'm adding a few circuits of my own and intend to do the job right. I need both new circuits and relays to control some substantial loads - trailer wiring, vacuum pump and air compressor. I started with a Painless Wiring Cirkit Boss and a Hella Relay Panel.

The Cirkit Boss has 4 circuits powered from a relay that operates from the ignition key and 3 always hot circuits. I have used one on my daily driver for 15 years and it has performed flawlessly.

Since the wires come out the bottom of both the Cirkit Boss and the relay panel, I fabricated a mounting bracket for the to mount to the driver's side inner fender. Here it is on the workbench:

Name:  Electrical Panel - top view.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  70.5 KB

Here it is mocked up in the pickup from the front:

Name:  Electrical Panel mocked up - front view.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  92.3 KB

Here it is from the side:

Name:  Electrical Panel mocked up - side view.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  82.8 KB

A couple of coats of black paint and it will be ready to go.

Since the hoses for the hydroboost and power steering arrived from Summit Racing, I decided to mock them up as well:

Name:  Hydroboost plumbing.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  97.8 KB

I'm making progress on the underhood equipment, I still have a ways to go...

Last edited by burnitg; 11-05-2017 at 12:54 AM.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote