View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #146
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
I had a chance to buy a convertible 2 years ago but I am not really into them or in a place where "I" can enjoy them. Red hair and light complexion make me hide in the shade... LOL
Direct sunlight isn’t my friend either. A 3rd degree sunburn in my youth made me susceptible to bigger problems with additional exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Resto guy back in Spokane is finishing up a complete body job on my wifes 72. Still kicking around the idea of entering it with my Tempest in the Good Guys in August. Here is hers.
If there’s a practical way to get them both there, I’d encourage bringing them both. I’ll be bringing my truck and my son will either tag along or perhaps enter his 1960 Galaxie as well.

My only A body car was a 67 Chevelle.

I can’t say I ever “loved” the car because it was a 4 door. It was however a fantastic daily driver. The sedan was a plain vanilla California government car with no options. Five years later it had a 350/4 speed, 12 bolt rear end, heavy duty driveshaft, front disc brakes, Pontiac station wagon springs, and Olds 442 front and rear sway bars with the factory boxed lower rear control arms. And how times have changed, I bought every suspension component for $5 each or per pair, like the sway bars, springs, and control arms. I was amazed how many Olds 442’s and GTO’s were in the local yards at the time. Inside a factory optional full gauge cluster was added along with the factory 4 speed console and Jaguar XJ12L leather seats front and rear.

The outside had 68 Mopar fender markers, rally wheels, black acrylic enamel and aluminum window trim from a Buick (Chevy never offered it on 4 doors).

After 5 years of searching I finally found an SS396 hood, buying an entire POS car just to get the hood!

My birthday present that year was a new Targetmaster 350. 3 or 4 days later while out testing the clutch adjustment, a drunk driver in this VW ran a red light doing 55-60 in a 35 zone. The Chevelle was totaled. Here’s a photo of the bug a few days later in the wrecking yard:

And this is what happened to my brand new hood:

He impacted just ahead of my left front tire and spun the Chevelle 270 degrees flinging it backwards into a traffic pole. The front of the frame was moved over 2 feet, and the back was shoved in two feet knocking the passenger side doors out of the body. Fortunately I had the hood chained down in front, because the impact tore the driver side hood hinge off and left the corner of the hood resting against the windshield. It could have been worse. At least I only got a concussion and lost the car. My son was in the car at the time and was unhurt. The VW went end over end a couple of times throwing the engine down the street several hundred feet farther. Fortunately nobody but the driver got hurt.

Looking back it was somewhat of a blessing, since I put the running gear into another car which I sold for a profit, and parlayed that money into the 46 Ford which eventually led to the purchase of my 1960 GMC.

And on the topic of the GMC, I retrieved the buffer from my son last night so I can get started on polishing the windshield trim. I’m hoping to have it finished and installed before the show in August.

Last edited by markeb01; 04-29-2012 at 12:18 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote