View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
dougf

Re: 65 lower control arm u bolt BROKE!!!

Alright, so heres where im at now.

Bought the upper and lower control arm shafts with bushings, upper and lower ball joints.

On Fort Leonard Wood theres an Auto Craft shop with tools you can use. Fees are not bad, about $15 a day to use a bench and all the tools you need. Took my upper and lowers there today. With an impact I had no issues taking off the old bushings, upper and lower. If you dont have an impact, find a way to use one, it made the job SO much easier.

At this point I had the new shaft and boots installed with the bushings threaded in equally as much as I could by hand.

From advice I read in other threads it was important to keep the shaft centered. When you turn the threaded bushings in the shaft has a tendency to move, so to stop that I put a screwdriver here so I could maintain orientation and keep the shaft from coming off center.

Using an impact I hit each end slowly while checking for binding. Which leads me to my next question. I was able to get the uppers and lowers done on both sides in this manner, but I am unable to find any information as to how tight they should be? The bushings are fully seated against the control arm, I can loosen and tighten them a little either way without pulling in the control arm. I am able to move the shafts barely by hand, should I not be able to, how much friction should be felt? Someone told me to tighten them as much as I could with the impact, but that doesnt sound right.

I ordered these from NAPA, will be in the store on Wednesday.
Item: Control Arm U-Bolt - Front Susp
Product Number: BK 6504065
Quantity: 2
Price: $6.69
Item Total: $13.38

Upper and Lower Ball Joints will be replaced also, got those already. Oreilly tried to sell me missmatched inner and out tie rod ends, telling me they were the same specs. They were different lengths, colors, made in different countries, so I told them I wasnt going to pay for them. Buyer be ware. I DID accept two different lower cross shafts though. One was made in Turkey, the other in U.S.A. The U.S.A. made part was only slightly different in the inside next to the control arm, and it spins a little easier, so thats erking me slightly, but its not that much different.

So how tight would you have the control arms shafts?

Anyway, sorry for the long drawn out, poorly written post (lol). A few beers will do that to you. Anyway, thanks for the help, ill edit this post and clean it up with better pictures when I havent had anything to drink and have it all together. Thanks!
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote