View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
jocko

Re: What GM create engine to buy for 3/4 ton 72 C20

I have a personal "thing" about center-bolt valve cover hold downs, I have no idea why... While there are a few dual-valve cover hold down bolt and "old" intake manifold dual drilled heads out there, most of those vortec heads are for big inch small blocks (and pricey). As for aluminum options, I would rather have cast iron than aluminum on a daily driver personally.

While I'd like a 1 piece rear main seal because the 2-piece tend to eventually dribble on the floor, I've noticed they also require a neutral balancer, but externally balanced flexplate. Which I find a bit odd, but they do according to most of the info I've read on these.

Since what I REALLY want to do is just replace my stock (1x replaced) 350 with a stock GM 350 - and since I kind of prefer the GM new engines that haven't been over-bored, i.e. stock with the above criteria of perimeter bolt valve cover cyl heads and 2-piece rear main seals (all internally balanced), that leaves the 195, 260, and 290 hp GM crates.

Weird little nuances to these engines... I've yet to figure out the difference between the 195 and 260 hp engines... Both have the anemic cams (.383/.401 int/exh) but have 8.5:1 compression, whereas the 290 hp engine has a better cam (.450/.460) but 8.0:1 compression. One step forward and one step back.

While I really hate to crack open a brand new crate to upgrade the cam, that seems like the best option - the 195 or 260 hp crate with a subsequent buyer-installed cam upgrade. Nothing wild, but nothing dead like what it comes with either. That would yield a bit more potential in at least an 8.5:1 engine over the 290 hp's 8.0:1 I'd think. Anyway, speaking of thinking, I think perhaps I'll just continue my search for a stock 72 engine and rebuild it. Maybe make it a 383. Don't mind building them, I do enjoy that part of a resto. And even though I've rebuilt several, I probably still can't match the reliability and somewhat less mistake prone build of a good ol GM mfgr'ed engine. That's why I've been leaning toward a crate. My truck isn't numbers matching and it's not that important to me (although I WISH it was ). I do prefer them to at least look stock, thus my aversion to center hold down bolts on the valve covers I guess I don't see the 260 hp engine at GM or Summit anymore, only Jegs.

I DO wish they (GM perf parts) made a crate GEN 1 sbc with about 9-9.2:1 compression and a decent cam. To get that, ya gotta go with vortec these days it seems.

Perhaps a 383 vortec with the perimeter bolt adapters for the valve covers... Hmmm. Those are quite a bit more pricey than the Gen 1s, but great little stump pullers.

Anyway - does anyone know the difference in the details of the 195 and 260 hp GM Gen 1 crate engines? Thanks!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote