View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #60
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post

hey we could trade, my serial and title is 1941 but everything points to it being a 46 (rear glass, headliner, turn signals, dash knobs, outside key).

I think a lot of body part swapping went on in the 40s and 50s. I read that, during the war, farmers who were used to replacing their trucks every 2 years (because they didnt last much longer than that in hard use) had to keep these going, wartime production stopped in early 42 and didnt start again until late 45, so a 41 would have almost 5 years work on it by 46 when new trucks were finally available. add to that scrap drives for metal and its amazing anything is left from 41 and earlier.
That's interesting to know too cause getting the truck back from my buddy the other day he's like "hey you know you have a 47 bed right?" I found the specs online and sure enough he was right! The beds are nearly identical with the exception of the tailgate and the 47 bed being an 1 1/2" wider. In practice however it's a PITA because it throws off how the bed, rear fender and running board all come together... I'll post some pics too but I can't switch the bed because it would throw off the whole patina... lol after 75 years it'd be a surprise if any of them were truly all original
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote