View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #258
Hart_Rod

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Once again thanks!

This morning I wanted to put the mirrors back on the Burban. I stood and stared at them for a while in order to find a way to get the plates in position without removing the door panels. (They fell to the bottom of the doors when I removed the mirrors) Here's what I came up with. First I ran two wires (string would work too) down from the outside staying clear of the window regulator and out of the speaker hole. (This is where cut door owners win out. ) after making sure they were not crossed, I ran the wires through the plate. One of the wires I pulled extra long and then tied the two together to make a wye. ( or a Y ). Before pulling the plate up I put the gasket in place with the wires through the outer holes. I then used the two wires to pull the plate up past the regulator and nearly into position. Using a 90* pick I moved the plate so I could start a stud in the middle hole. Once I had the stud installed I removed the wires. This is where the longer wire in the wye came in to play. No need to try and get my hand up there to pull them out. Holding the plate by the stud I put an extra long bolt through the front hole in the mirror, gasket and plate. Then fit the mirror in place and installed the back screw. Then one at a time I replaced the stud and the bolt with the proper screws. Once everything looked proper I pulled the screws and put some blue Loctite on them.
Very creative! I just used some 2-sided tap to stick the backing plates to the inside of the door...
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote