View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Tiger Joe

Re: any 6.5 gurus here?

so bumping this back up.

thinking most of my original concerns were just me coming from the dmax not being used to the 6.5

swapped a new glow plug controller on and truck started fine all winter. would grumble a bit if I didnt plug the block heater in when really cold, but always started.

Still havent gotten to the oil leak. fairly sure its the valve covers, so I'm just delaying that job.

Here's the latest issue- truck is hard to restart once its hot. I first notice this issue in april, after roughly 3 hours on the highway, but the problem seems to be worse now that we are into summer.

Heres an example- thursday night run to lowes after work (roughly 30 min drive. cold start at 4 truck is fine. make 2 stops quickly truck is fine.

go into lowes looking for lumber and to get someone to help load, so truck drove 30 min there, and is sitting in hot parking lot- I come out to get in truck, turn key on, no glow plug light, truck chugs for roughly 3-4 seconds and will finally start. I pull up so they can load lumber, shut truck off for maybe 15 min max, same thing on restart, truck cranks for 3-4 seconds before starting.

when it does this, there is NO glow plug light. is that normal? I thought the 6.5 always had a couple seconds of GP no matter what?

is this a sign of a bad injector pump? I've read about pouring water on it to verify, but I never seem to have a water handy when it does this
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote