View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Re: Haggerty Insurance turned me down

Yes, vehicles in trailers get hauled off. But, he said in an enclosed trailer in a locked and alarmed garage. Everything but the daily drivers parked in front of the door, which is what would mean little to them since that can change at any point anytime. I think it's pretty obvious the issue here is with the person he spoke to. Since they have the info already given, it's time to go elsewhere and not be quite so forthright. Unless you have dyno sheets the horsepower is whatever you want to think it is. You can't see it. Nothing dishonest...at at least no more dishonest than the insurance industry itself. You are a mature driver with a huge investment in a vehicle you love. I think you know that if there is ever a claim on that vehicle, it won't be something caused by all your horsepower. So, what's the harm?

It's like back when I had more collector vehicles than garage space. I felt my occasional use vintage pleasure vehicles deserved the same insurance as any other, in a garage or not, so I told them they were all garage kept. I wasn't concerned about theft from my house where I lived, just wanted good insurance while out on the road...especially when back then they wouldn't give full coverage at any amount for an older vehicle through regular insurance. I accepted the fact that if a tree fell on one outside that would be a claim I couldn't make. Still better than out on the road with nothing but liability where you'd be lucky to get $1,000 after some bozo rams you and ruins your truck.
My ex-wife got car jacked in the '63 Riviera I had. Luckily, she was let out at our exit on the interstate. But since they wouldn't give historic since it wasn't garage kept and all they'd give me is liability, the car was solid gone and a total loss. Fortunately the car turned up unharmed, just a crackhead needing a ride to the city for more. But after that I said screw the insurance company, I put up a garage over night! Just couldn't claim any damage created on my property, a risk worth taking.

If you have to be straight up with them, there has to be someone to insure it. Here in Maryland we also have Street Rod tags. I guess the difference is to allow for original historic as well as modified. You can really go either way and I don't know the difference it would make. The requirement is at least 18 modifications to qualify for Street Rod. It's more about qualifying for Street Rod than for Historic. Plenty around with more than 18 mods running historic plates. My point is, someone is insuring these vehicles the state is registering as "Street Rods".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote