View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
PGSigns

Re: bad handling / driving characteristic after Camaro subframe ! What is wrong ?

On your rear suspension the bags are halfway between the housing and the front end of the bar. That is a forward location. If you know the rear weight and the distance from the pivot to the bag and from the pivot to the housing you can calculate the load on the bag and the bar. The best place load wise for a bag or a spring is directly over the housing. That in most cases is not practical so we place them just in front or just behind the housing. Here is a page where you can see the math and enter numbers and it will show you the loads.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/levers-d_1304.html
When it comes to alignment I have used plates and the Longacre gauge to do the drag cars I have had and it worked just fine for that. Sold all that when I got out of racing and I now use a local shop that has really good understanding of modified and performance suspensions and can do all the checks for camber gain, bump steer and ackerman checks I want and give me really good numbers on what I have and work with me to get it where I want it.
There are lots of ways to improve the front end from taller ball joints, moving the upper ar mount to longer a arms. The first thing you need is the information on where your at and where it needs to be then you can make a plan. Google second gen Camaro handling and do some reading. That one under yous is front steer so it is second gen.
Before went to 20" wheels I would put taller tires on it. They do 2 things for you. Raise the truck and ad a softer side wall that can greatly improve the ride.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote