View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Vehicle Inspection Woes

I usually don't drive my truck much during the summer and it's been parked for last couple of months but run the engine every week for at least 5-10 minutes. Yesterday morning I remembered it's time to have it inspected so I could drive it this weekend.

First problem I had: Cranked the truck and it would turn over but wouldn't start (first time it's done this since a plugged fuel line 15 years ago). Checked for fuel flow and also made sure it wasn't flooded. All good. Checked for spark with timing light and it showed I had spark. Checked compression and it was good. Checked #1 spark plug was at TDC on compression stroke and it was right on. Replaced the HEI coil and rusty ground strap out of another HEI I have and truck started right up. I suspect a weak spark.

Second problem: Checked head lights. No headlights. All other lights okay. After checking fuses I remembered the same thing happening on my 69 when the foot dimmer switch went bad. I put a meter on it and found out it was bad. Got a new one at NAPA and that fixed headlight problems.

Third problem: As I was finally getting ready to go, my wife said I didn't have backup lights. I don't think it's required in Texas but just to be sure I checked fuses again. All OK. Turns out the reverse backup switch on the column was broken.

Fourth problem: Today is Thanksgiving day and there's only one guy there that can drive a three speed on the column and won't be back until Monday.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote