Thread: 400/406 Builds
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #84
DBD

Re: 400/406 Builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68nou1 View Post
Like i said i didnt know any better and figured it was just one bolt, it would be ok. The rest torqued fine each time. I didnt say that the machine shop was at fault because the bolts would not torque, they are at fault for the not putting the short block together correctly for me.
ok, you had said "one or two bolts" - but anyway, yeah, it's a Big Deal. any time something doesn't go just right in assembly, it's worth taking a minute to check it out

I don't know if the machine shop did anything wrong - the smoke could be coming from the heads or rings...without a leak-down it's hard to say, and you could have had head gasket sealing from the get-go...so the smoke could have been from that...plus running it when it was overheating (probably also part of the head gasket sealing problem) probably led to the final failure. if the bore was full of water then there are all kinds of issues. post a pick of the head gaskets and the bores and lets have look.

I ain't trying to be hard on you - but engine building is pretty unforgiving.

I guess i'm just not ready to blame the shop based on what you wrote, but I hope you have better luck with the next build - just take it slow and do everything just right

Last edited by DBD; 08-08-2014 at 07:55 PM.
DBD is offline   Reply With Quote