View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
budbeater

Re: Disk Swap on an Eaton HO52

Step Eight: Removing the backing plate

This step shold be easy. Break out the breaker bar. The four bolts that hold the backing plate are on tight. Loosen them and use the impact wrench to take them all the way off. Take your big hammer and tap the backing plates off. The backing plates can go on the discard, swap meet, or E-bay pile, you won't need them again.

We are now done with dissassembly. You may want to take some time to clean the newly revealed outer axle housing. Maybe some rust preventative paint would be in order. I degreased, sanded and painted the dust covers that we removed at the end of step seven. I used POR-15 to help them last another 35 years.

Step Nine: Installing the New Brackets

Time for new parts. The Kit comes with decent instructions that have about eight pictures. This step threw me at first, but there is really only one way that the caliper brackets can fit on correctly. The open "C" part of the bracket is where the caliper will be mounted. This needs to face the rear of the truck so that the calipers will be mounted behind the axle. The bracket has a thick and thin part. The "C" part is the thin part and the part that mounts on the axle is the thick part. The flat part of the bracket should face the outside of the truck (closest to the wheel). If you put the flat part facing the differential you will not have the correct offset to position the caliper over the rotor.
Attached Images

budbeater is offline   Reply With Quote