View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
KevinK7

'68 C20 396 4sp Utility ...resurrection :)

I've been posting for a while and some may have seen some of the pics, but I thought why not, lets' start a 'build' thread.
I wouldn't call this a real "build" thread since I didn't have plans to completely tear the truck down, but I figured why not post some of the work as I go along.

Living in NY, with my brother in Las Vegas (NV) I realized real quick, I was better off looking west and shipping back east.
Being a 'Camaro Guy' I've had a couple 1st gen's shipped east and you definitely learn to appreciate the lack of rust on vehicles from the southwest.

Anyway, I stumbled upon a "1968 Chevy 3/4 ton with Utility Bed" on CraigsList
Here are some actual photos from the ad:

I made the phone call, struck a deal and had the truck shipped from California to my brother's in Vegas, where it sat for a while.

Initially, I wasn't too keen on the utility bed, already thinking about pulling it to put on a factory bed. When the truck showed up at my brother' he told me how clean (and rust free) it was and said I'd be crazy to start 'messing' with it.
I already knew it was a 396 4 speed, but when I saw the SPID, I also realized it was "Special Paint" (of which I still don't know what specific color it was, but oh well

In October of 2019 I finally saw it first hand (along with a '68 50th I picked up, but that's for another story) and I just though the truck was SO cool
We flushed out all the old gas (had to change the fuel pump too) but the darn thing ran great!
All I had done was put a set of (Wheel Vintique 16" steelies) wheel and tires on it and drove it around for the week or so I was visiting my brother.

Here it is at DMV in Vegas for inspection

Even a trip out to Red Rock Canyon

Then in November of 2019, it was loaded up (with two others) headed back east to my house in upstate NY...