View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
67c10rustbuket

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

Finally getting to burn some of this floor together. my flux core is kinda frustrating wish i had the millermatic from work in my garage right about now. I bought a true MIG conversion kit for my hobart handler but I havent had the spare funds ($300) to go buy a bottle full of argon/co2 yet so I will have to suffer the flux !!
The "hump" by the front seat mount proved to be a challenge, the pitch didnt match so i had to do a bunch of pie cutting and welding. I used a weld backer that I made out of an aluminum block and some scrap steel pieces to minimize blow through and absorb the heat with the old fluxer and i welded the whole floor edge top and bottom, yes i layed on my back (not directly under) and welded the floor from the bottom after i finished the top. then finished it by using a grinder and stepping down to an air angle die grinder (my best friend) works great in tight spaces and you can use different grit roloc discs so you dont grind through or put too much rash into your work.
I have invested a serious amount of beer in this floor.
my advise: dont try to do it in one day, take your time, I did probably 20 test fittings over a 2 week period before i burned it all together.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote