View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #22
A.Bursell

Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
The monojet is a very easy carb to take apart and clean. Get a kit from the local auto parts and dive in. We should be able to help you if you have questions.

I have taken several of those apart and rebuilt. Buy at least 2 cans of carb cleaner. You should also replace the float if it has the black phenolic one. I've heard they get fuel logged even though I've never seen it. Check the gasket between the top half and lower half to make sure it's tight or not leaking (two phillips head screws from the bottom of the carb).

After you do that, adjust the idle speed and idle air screw for best, smoothest idle or highest vacuum. Keep resetting the idle to specs if the engine rpm goes up and recheck the adjustment.

Other things that can cause bogging, hesitation and/or backfiring are burned valves, weak valve springs, worn cam and or cam gears, bad distributor. An HEI distributor would help if that were the case.
I believe this carb is actually a Carter-- maybe a YF. Any experience there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Heat riser valve working!
Sounds like cold intake, lean misfire due to fuel puddling.
Is the heat riser valve you are talking about the one at the top of the exhaust manifold? I noticed it was a little sticky, but it doesn't seem to run any different if it's opened or closed. How should it operate-- boucing back and forth or should it either be open or closed depending on temperature?

Adam
A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote