View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #81
Scott2

Re: Scott's '51 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I hear you on hard to find 15" with 4 3/4 pattern steel wheels. I am buying them every time I see them for sale. I have a few 15x5 and 15x6 seem to be most common. I got lucky and found an old paper wheel exchange book at a tire store while getting my tires rotated, and found out which cars came factory with 15x7 4 3/4 pattern, they are less common than you think, and then did a search on car-part to see which yard had a car (it was a 1980 olds 88) in stock. I got all 4 for $100.

but even that is going to be a bit of a trick. like doug says, you can find about an width even 15x8 (my preference for a rear wheel, takes up to a 275 easily) on summit or jegs for low $$. they are dual drilled 4 3/4 and 4.5 but with caps on no one knows.

I think I have this figured out. I just made a round of calls and found a guy with a machine shop in his back yard. He's going to open up the center of the wheels I bought for $30 for two wheels. Great deal and they should fit fine after that - of course I still have to tub the rear. The real deal here may be finding the friendly machinist.