View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #15
Puke160

Red face Re: Thoughts on Solid Front Axle Swap on 2007.5 3500 hd

I'm not going to argue with you that they are both heavy engines of a one ton platform. As for as size the 3126b is 1.4 inches wider, so a small amount of work on the inner fenders. 2 inches taller, but it with the motor mount locations on the block it will sit about the same height in the engine bay. And a solid front axle will increase the useable room under the truck. It is quite a bit longer. But that can be solved with modify the firewall and a low profile electric fans.

I will say the duramax have a massive amount of aftermarket support. And you can build it as wild as you bank account will allow. But in stock form the LMM has 365hp at 3100rpm and 660 foot pounds of torque at 1800rpm. And that is its highest performance version of it. Now, if you compare that to the highest performance 3126. That has 330hp at 2400rpm and 880 foot pounds of torque at 1400 rpm. And if it is not enough power catapiller has a full line of factory performance parts.

I honestly could care less about fuel economy but you brought it up. So my truck averages 12.79 mile per gal. My 79 k25 get less the 7 mile per gal. Fuel is cheap if I was considered with fuel usage I would sell everything I own move to town and buy a prius.

And I love the sound of the older style diesel engines. Oh and you can have Jake brakes put on both of them.

I have done my research on the both motors. I know the history behind both of them and the companys. I have work on and driven both of them. And in my opinion the 3126 is a great motor when it comes to the performance side of things. But the DT466 is slow but if you consider that International and Navistar made the DT series for 41 years and just updated it along the way speaks volumes about the strength and reliability of the engine. But I'm done talking engines for now. the swap may never happen. It is just something I thought would be cool because I only seen them swapped into light pickups once each and they were both in ford trucks. If I do go ahead and do the swap is will require a SAS. That is the only reason I bought it up.

I just wanted to talk to the people that have personal done the swap to see if they would do it again. The problem involved in it. Which axle is best for my setup. May find someone that had found a different kit that was just a small amount of lift. No matter what I'm keeping the truck. Even if I buy a medium duty truck tomorrow. I will just put a bale bed on the duramax and keep the 2 L tanks. So no matter what happens the truck will still be loaded most of the time it is being driven. It will just see more road time.
2000 Chevy K2500
2002 Pontiac Trans Am
Puke160 is offline   Reply With Quote