View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #44
chevy3100truck

Re: #minijimmygmc Wifey's 1990 K5 Jimmy rebuild

Thanks for the compliments!

I've been working on it as much as I can since I last posted, the top is now painted inside & out

Inside before -

Name:  IMG_4466.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  39.7 KB

Scuff & Spray - I left the texture on the inside, which unfortunately meant leaving some of the cracks along the edges since I couldn't figure out a good way to fix them and keep the texture (they're just cracks in the original coating where the parts are joined together)

after - well - it's still white, but it's clean looking and coated with a satin clear coat
Name:  IMG_4467.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  32.1 KB

For the outside I smoothed the factory seams with fiberglass and sprayed a black with a satin clear coat. Not perfect - I'd never sprayed satin before, so I'll probably end up redoing it at some point, but unless you're 7' tall you can't see the top of the roof anyhow.

Name:  IMG_4482.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4481.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  45.9 KB

Basically the problem was because I had it supported too high and couldn't easily reach the middle section of the roof to get a consistent pass on the clear coat. The satin clear needs to be applied very consistently to get an even finish, so in the very center of the roof there are a couple of stipes where the gloss doesn't exactly match.