View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #64
mvitale27

Re: Matt's 56 3600 4X4 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Yikes!

A long, long time ago, the rear hose between my frame and the rear axle blew out on my 1978 Power Wagon while I was stationed in SoCal. The truck was full-time 4wd, and I was in a pinch, so I ran a trim screw down the middle of the broken hose and held it in place with a hose clamp until I could get to the parts store and replace the line. Front brakes, manual trans, 4wd to slow the rear and the parking brake if necessary. There was no crisis because I knew what I was driving and left room around me.

Hardlines are a different animal though, especially with ABS. I never used to hear about hardlines corroding through, but it seems to be a more common occurrence now. I've seen some late model trucks where the hardlines rusted through before the sheet metal. Anything to save a few pennies of profit.

-Joe
Yea, almost all the hard lines in the truck were corroded. I ended up replacing every brake line in the truck because everytime I touched a line to move it slightly they would just break. What crap they used in this thing. I used the NiCorp nickel copper mix that is supposed to "never rust." Also had to replace the ABS pump because all the fittings were stripped out but I got one locally for $70. Should be back on the road today and then I can get back on the '56.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build
mvitale27 is offline   Reply With Quote