View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #17
LT7A

Re: Best way of improving MPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I searched mpg in the thread titles, and this appears to be the most recent thread. Though I have a 65, the info still applies.
The most common replies I see whenever this topic comes up is:

1. We need an Overdrive Transmission.
2. We need FI
3. Our truck's weight
4. Our truck's aren't aerodynamic.

But when I do a mpg cost comparison, I don't want to look at just the cost of fuel. I want to compare the overall cost of what it takes to own and use my vehicle.

My 2010 Honda CR-V averages in my typical day to day driving 24 mpg. But in the last 8 years it has lost around $15,000 in value. And, eventually I'll need to start putting money into it to keep it going.
I did some Google searches to see if there's anyone that has put some of these numbers out there for what it really costs to own a new car. But to just give me a little comfort in some rough figures, my 65 may cost me as much as a new car after the cost of gas, and typical upgrades and maintenance, but my 65 is worth quite a bit more than when I bought it.
I'm thinking if I can get 15mpg out of my 65, the total cost over 10 years isn't going to be much more than buying a newer car that gets me better mpg.
That's a great perspective on true cost picture. Well done.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote