View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #63
shifty
Questionable

Re: post all bagged c10 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
I'm green as grass on all this stuff don't even know what notching the frame is all about.
Long story short?

This is what it means to "Notch" your frame - this is a typical bolt-in notch like the one that CPP sells:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=195566

The main purpose is simple: If you pull the springs out of your truck and slap an airbag in their place, when you completely dump the air out of the bag, your axle tubes are going to smack right into the bottom of the framerail before the bag is fully deflated. As long as you have a bump-stop on the frame, it only matters if you really care about getting that extra inch or two of drop that the notch will provide for you.

BUT ...most guys figure, if they're going to spend the little bit of time and money to upgrade to the smoother, more adjustable ride that bags offer, might as well take full advantage and 'notch' the framerail so the axle will tuck up INTO the framerail when the bag is fully deflated, and the truck will have a great slammed look.

A couple of additional points to make:

For the record, whether you notch or don't notch, you need to put a bumpstop either on the bottom of the framerail or on the bottom of the notch, just to make sure you NEVER have metal-on-metal contact when the axle tube bottoms out against either.

The rubber part of your bags should NEVER touch or rub against other parts on the truck when they are installed. This can and will lead to premature bag failure.

If you notch your frame and you're running bags, when the axle tucks up into the notch at full dump, the top of your gearbox/"pumpkin" is probably going to smack the bottom of your bed BEFORE your axle manages to "bottom out" inside the notch. Just an FYI

Seriously - upgrading to bags is pretty much a no-brainer effort which you can do casually over the course of a weekend, no doubt, assuming you do your homework. It's easier if you tear down to just a frame (e.g. it's faster), but it can be done with the cab still on the truck.

I think that's pretty much

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-07-2008 at 01:06 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote