View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #26
rtinniste

Re: Wtf did i get myself into 51 s10 swap

Little update spent all day Saturday installing air ride on a 350z ended up missing the nutserts for the rear bags so finished everything minus the rear. All I can say is that car blows to take apart way more interior plastic panels then my Infiniti, and it took longer to put back together then it did for me to line and wire the system. And my hands are covered in cuts from the stupid panels just have to put the nutsert and rear bags in, calibrate the system, set the presets and its finished.

But did get to work on the truck Sunday afternoon, wasn't even planning it until my brother in law sent me a pic of his nova clip installed on his Apache. Crap need to get back in the lead!

Made a lower U frame for the radiator support the side stands bolt to it and its all 3/16" angle iron and plate. Ended up making two risers off the frame with some scrap C channel. Thing that sucks is the passenger side frame rail slopes down right where I needed my pad to land so i couldn't make each side equal height.
I spent close to a week thinking the best way to do this. From using a weld in bung on the frame but if that ever strips I'm screwed, to the route everyone seems to take with the lower bar but i think i cut my frame horns to far back slightly, this route just seemed the best way to me.

Happy I just did it and got it done. Now time to mount the bed and running boards, bed should go quick running boards I'm not looking forward to. But at least I'm done cutting plate steel with the wheel of death I'm pretty sure.

But the way I made it, it has tons of adjustment.
I can pinch my fenders in by putting washers between the side stands and u frame. I have about a 1 inch side to side movement and height adjustment i can drop it 1/2" by flipping the bushings or raise as much as I need using fender washers under the bushing cup as shims. Everything is square, level, and lines up perfect. And you can't see the mounts once the grille is on and the hood lines up and latches and unlatches nicely even with the front clip being loose. So I must of done something right.

Today I need to pick up some shorter grade 8 bolts cut the driver side tab and straighten it some and add a gusset to each tab doubt its needed I can stand and jump on each tab with no deflection but it will make it look better. I think I went slight over kill on it. I'll post a better pic tomorrow with it completed that pic makes it look like a complete hack job with the 7" bolts and crooked tab.
rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote