View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #109
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Sarge's rattle-can rebuild

Minor update. Lot's going on this time of year and my daughter wrecked her car to boot, so I'm sneaking off to the shop when I can. Backtracking a smidge, in the first two pics you can see how I've modified the cluster housing for gauges in three places that used to house idiot lights, and the only remaining idiot light spot has been modified for two with a divider epoxied in the middle. In the next two pics, you can see how I've approached it. For starters, I got a couple of factory connectors out of the junkyard wired into the aftermarket gauges so the cluster can still be easily removed. Getting that wired in meant getting creative with the cluster housing and even the printed circuit in a few places. I have not plugged it in yet, but I've tested the printed circuits next to where I had to remove clear plastic and those circuits still have continuity. In the last pic, you can see three of the twist lock light plugs across the bottom. The one on the left is the old GEN 1 light, and it is jumpered with the red and green wires to it's new position over the GEN 2 light. I used a cheap plastic walmart cutting board to make a patch panel over the back of the GEN 1/GEN 2 hole and trimmed it to fit the factory twist lock sockets you see plugged in. It is screwed to the back of the housing and under the printed circuit.
Attached Images

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote