View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #55
Bdb68

Re: 1968 Custom Camper Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That looks great! I've got the same diff covers on my 72 and they are nice. They have drain and fill plugs too. I ended up painting mine black because some dumb a drove the truck in the winter.....

I considered buying a CPP column too but I read some pretty bad stories with them so I passed. i'm interested to hear your take on them once you put some turns on it. I've been driving mine for almost 2 years now and I still have a list similar to yours of stuff to complete. They're never done.
I really like the covers, only the front came with the wrong size bolts, no big deal and for the price I just went to the hardware store and got the right ones. I never thought about the winter driving, Ill have to keep an eye on them.
I don't have many miles behind the wheel with the new column yet, but there are some things I like and some I don't. I have never seen a factory tilt in person so I cant compare. Things I've noticed so far, the gear indicator is kind of cheesy and I'm not sure how long the needle will last. The knob on the turn signal lever fell off, a little glue and no big deal. My truck did not have hazard lights so the hazard button is useless, not really CPPs fault. Otherwise, so far at least, the steering is tight, shifts are tight but smooth, tilt and turn work good, and the fire wall seal seems good.

That's the truth about never being done, My problem is I cant wait to drive them so I do whatever it takes to get to that point then procrastinate on the small stuff. Once they leave the shop its so hard to convince myself to take something apart to finish up. I am trying to convince myself the next truck is going to be a slow and detailed build and I'm not pulling it out of the garage till its 99% done, we will see if I can stick to that.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Bdb68 is offline   Reply With Quote