View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
chevy72blu

Re: Realistic Values.

I think a few things are at play here.

First and foremost is recency bias. For the past 10 years with a crappy economy, the price of "luxury" items like car projects fell through the floor. I was shocked at how cheap even very desirable project cars (chevelle, camaro, GTO, etc) were selling for locally a few years ago. The economy is now improving, salaries are raising (at least according to the news), which is raising the price of these trucks.

They also aren't getting any newer. Every year we lose more and more to rot and being parted out/scrapped. As rarity increases, so will price.

Barrett Jackson and other auctions on TV has led everyone to believe that their rusted out 250 I6 3OTT base model is made of pure gold. That being said, a lot these trucks have been parted out and been donors for rarer/better optioned trucks. Those will command higher prices, while eliminating the lower cost, lower optioned trucks which are cheaper to get into.

Have a beat up truck thats in bare primer? Put on a set of red steelies, and now its a "rat rod".

And last but not least, things are worth what someone is willing to pay. I wouldnt pay $19k for that blazer, but if someone wants to, more power to you. Caveat emptor

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote