View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #93
mechanicalman

Re: Anyone ever had luck getting summit to honor a warrantee for a bad crate engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
On the same note about your crate motor, your situation was similar to mine. I purchased a GM crate motor 295 HP for my 72 K20. I had a strong mildly built 350 in it that blew a head gasket, plus it had a lot of miles on it. My son needed a vehicle to drive to school (16yrs old at the time). I bought that motor, as it would be dependable, low HP driver for him. Plus I would rebuild my other motor.
Now, were going to use the bottom end and pump it up on the top end. I purchased some AFR heads, have a nice eldelbrock performer intake, recondition/rebuilt Quadra-jet and Taylor wires and a DUI small GM distributor. I still have to spec the CAM. So look for a motor build thread over in the drive train section. Good Luck!
NOW you're talking! Looking forward to seeing how this engine turns out, putting good heads on this will be very productive!

The cam on this engine is too much for the low compression heads. I'd suggest 64cc AFR 180s and use the thin felpro 1094 head gasket and get the quench right.

If you have the same 290HP engine, here are your cam specs. I would suggest checking tappet lift and multiply X 1.5 to be sure it has the same lift.

"The 350/290 HP engine uses an aggressive flat tappet camshaft to achieve the level of performance for its intended usage. Camshaft lift is .450" intake / .460" exhaust. Camshaft duration (@.050") is 222 degrees intake and exhaust. Lobe centerline is 114 degrees. Normal engine manifold vacuum for the 350/290 HP engine is 10-12" Hg at idle (650-750 rpm)".

You could choose a split duration cam with 112 lobe centerline and enjoy more vacuum. I like the Lunati voodoo cam for this app, let me know if you want recommendations for the cam and don't go overboard on the size of the head intake runners.

To achieve the performance potential of the AFR heads you will need headers. For the 4X4 I would suggest tri-y design with cross-over dual pipes.

Here are all the specs on that engine.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...e-12499529.pdf
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote