View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 12:20 AM   #55
nikwho

Re: Noob with a daughters project

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintcollector View Post
Ok, y'all inspired me.

I'm going to test the compression to make sure that's still good. Anything else I should check before I'm up to my elbows in education?

I just bought David Vizard CBB engine book from Amazon about rebuilding.

Thx all for the encouragement and perspective!
That's the best BBC book! Sorry, when ranting before, I failed to realize that you were wrenching on a BBC. All pretty much the same!

AND, to perhaps inspire some confidence, I did a cam swap tonight on my 383 SBC! so, timing set off and back on, pulled the intake, swapped camshaft and lifters. It's on its way back together! I left the rear two oil pan bolts in, but loose. Removed the rest. Only two required a wobble socket extension to get around crossmember. The pan dropped JUST enough that I could pull the timing cover off. I haven't removed headers, engine mounts, or even front accessories, aside from the serpentine belt, water pump, crank pulley and harmonic balancer. I've been at it for about 3 hours, and will have it all buttoned up, ready to fire in about two more hours. It's REALLY not a difficult job! And, even if you had more issues that surface after the swap, your only out an evening and some cheap parts.

I've done the same to the 434" BBC in my '68 GMC. No issues.

Good luck! Post pictures!

Nik