View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #49
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: True C5 Rear Disc w/ internal parking brake in the works

For those who have subscribed to the thread and those who have peeked in, whats the feedback on this?

Is this something that you WOULD buy? Im not a paying member, so nothings for sale at this time. I have my final quote from the laser cutter and it would costly investment if no one was seriously interested in such a kit.
So basically I am want to know what you guys think about it. The costs involved would be what you can pick up parts for... options like online, local or bone yard.
To give an idea on NEW parts Ive purchased online (best place I've found):
C5 Calipers: 225.00
C5 Rotors - plain (a/c delco): 41.50
Braided hose with correct ends + mounting hardware: 75.00 (but did find one place that had them for around 55)
-or-
Facotry C5 hoses and an adapter
Machining axles to fit stock C5 rotor ~ 80 bucks a pair if your axles are good
-or-
New axles with Corvette measurements 245.00
-or-
Custom machined C-5 rotors :71.50 each -should fit a stock axle w/no machine work (unconfirmed, but confident)

That would set you up with basic C5 rear disc brakes. Options go from there such as vented, x drilled, vented and x drilled... goes on to the c6 z06 rotors... and can go for the c6 calipers (power coated red ones).
And then the e-brake and prop valve if the bias is not what you like
The backing plate assemblies (L & R): 165.00
E-brake cables: 120.00 (lokar universal ebake cables)
Universal proportioning valve: 50.00

Price wise, Its close to the cost of McGaugys big brake kit w/o the use of Front Corvette rotors and 1980 style calipers.

Opinions/Thoughts

and again, nothings for sale, just looking for feedback

Thanks,
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote