View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
gigamanx

Re: Craigslist sanity check: 4L80e + 5.7L SBC 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
That is the stock Vortec CFI setup. As stated, not great, but not terrible either. That engine will be equipped with Vortec heads, probably the best factory SBC head ever produced. Converting it over to a carb'd setup isn't too difficult. For the HEI distributor, I would look into the units sold by Skip White Performance, relatively inexpensive and decent quality. I've used 3 of them on my drivers, and we have 2 or 3 in our dirt track cars.

For reference, that Carter fuel pump above will be very noisy. I ran one in my 1978 El Camino and it was absurd how much noise came from that thing, so be prepared for that.

For a good front engine accessory drive, find an 88-95 305/350 TBI pickup and pull everything off of it.

While you've got the engine out, I would put an oil pump and timing chain set in it.
I'll keep an eye out for a quieter fuel pump. No need for the extra noise to save a few bucks. I'm afraid the GPH from that pump is a little high for a 600cfm carb anyway. Good call on the oil pump and timing chain. I didn't even think of that. Low cost items for peace of mind

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 07-05-2017 at 12:07 PM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote