View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #16
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

The Air Force at my base emailed everybody in the unit telling of how thieves place a device over the slot where you slide your card in / out and it reads your card tape, also there is supposedly a little camera also able to see you type your pin number. Then they have your info.
Then another scam is at hotels where you use the computor card to open your hotel room door with. Some places were reusing the cards without reprograming them then people could get in the rooms to steal peoples stuff from the rooms. Or something simliar.

We never throw away our ATM receipts EXCEPT at home where we rip them up.
Since being told about these ATM "games" we now cover our typing hand when we put in our pin numbers.
Also, at stores always insist on keeping the carbon copies of all credit card purchases. Store employees were found to be taking them out of the trash after customers left to get the credit card numbers from them including ATM/Debit cards.
This happened to my mother a while back and the idiots got over $3300. She got her money back though from the bank, and the person was caught in California or Las Vegas if I remember right.
All receipts are your including the carbon copies because they have your info on them.

I wish you luck in getting your money back, which you probably will. They may have you close that account and reestablish a new account with a new card. Like they did with my mom. Very aggrevating I know.

Good Luck.

Mike

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote