View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Omegadog

Backyard DTM single stage paint job...

Howdy fellers. This is my 1st thread and I really enjoy it here. I swapped a '96 GMC Jimmy for my '84 SWB 305/700R project truck and I've been working on it off and on for a year. Lots of hours and whatever extra money I can come up with and I'm at a point of doing bodywork. I rebuilt the heads, valves seated and new seals, new radiator, heater core, water pump, intake manifold, wiper motor, a better used steering column, yada yada.
I purchased a Direct to Metal charcoal metallic single stage kit and since I have no where else to paint my truck, I'm forced to do it in my backyard. I'm planning on staking a 20X20 tarp and driving up on it. I'm removing the bed and painting it on top of a picnic table. I'm aware that I should several very light coats so that it will not look blotchy.

Now here comes some questions...

With DTM paint is it best not to sand back to all bare metal/bondo?

Is it NOT recommended to spray a clear coat?

How to avoid drips from the spray head. When I used this paint on the interior I used a gravity detail gun that kept dripping on me but I will be using a automotive quart spray gun for the rest of the body.

Any recommended pressures or other techniques?

Drying times before handling?

I've watched a few videos and will be doing more research before painting. I wanted to share the rest of my resto journey here with you guys if that's OK.

Here's some current pics. The interior will look much better when I am done. The seats will be recovered in black vinyl and the door panels/kick panels will be black as well.

Omegadog is offline   Reply With Quote