Thread: Wheel spacer ?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
mr48chev

Re: Wheel spacer ?

Without seeing a photo of your truck with the wheel and tire combo it is hard to say.

I am always seeing someone spew nonsense in that the AD 3100 trucks are too heavy for a MII front end specs show that curb weight for a 53 3104 is 3265 lbs with 1845 on the front wheels and 1420 on the rear wheels.

Mustang II were lighter at between 2700 and 3000 lbs shipping weight but if you have ever compared various chassis parts on the stock MII front ends you find that the upper ball joint is the same as Lincoln MK IV and most Galaxies from those years and several other pieces were borrowed from other Ford cars. Outside of the stamped steel crossmember all the pieces are pretty stout. I have never seen where a stock MII suspension failed in a rig it has been swapped into but have seen a number of cases where the aftermarket Tube A frame stuff has failed but that is mostly because some outfits used too small of tubing or used Volarie upper ball joints as lower ball joints because they were a few bucks cheaper.
Still the stock track width and I think that is center of tire to center of tire is 55.5 on MII and "stock" front tread width is listed as 56-3/4 center of tread to center of tread on a 53 3100. That would mean if you had a 0 offset rim your center line of the tire would be in 7/8 or so of an inch from stock providing the front end had stock rotors. I think some of the 11 inch rotor swaps move the wheels out about an inch or so.

The simple solution might be swapping wheels to something with a deeper offset and maybe even borrowing a wheel and tire from a buddy to bolt on and stand back and look at it and see if something like that works.

If you go billet spacers make sure you are getting US made billet wheel spacers and check the company out. I can't find the link right now but there is one in Texas I believe that shows photos of their machine shop and spacers being made on their web page. This is one place you don't go cheap.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote