View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 03:27 AM   #30
GMC-YA68

Re: 1972 Jimmy + 5.3/4L60E/NP205

fast forward:

Time to put the body back on! Originally I thought I was going to have to drop the frame down as low as I could and bring it in from the rear of the truck but with the help of my wife and a 9000lb Harbor Freight winch bolted to my garage floor we were able to swing it in from the front!

Installed all new 4:56 gears front and rear. All new bearings/races and seals in both axles and went with a new Eaton Posi unit in the rear. Also just because, bought new axle shafts for the rear as well. Bought all this thru Yukon Gear and Axle. Their parts are the best IMO.

Installed all brand new MOOG suspension parts. Everything up front is brand new MOOG. Tie rod ends, drag link and drag link ends, upper and lower ball joints, etc.

New brakes all around. Used the CaptainFab rear brackets and calipers / rotors / lines from his recommendation list. I got a hydroboost from a 03 denali and bought the CaptainFab mounting brackets. Had to swap out the reservoir (not pictured) for one that didn't have Active Brake Control - note the front nipple for the active brake. Got with Hydratech and they got me the correct lines and fittings and everything went together seamlessly.

Bought a new steering gear box from RedHead and a new intermediate shaft from CPP.

Installed the AC Delete cover. This was a task and took lots of mock ups.

Bought Doug Thorley Tri-Ys. (the big ones). I bolted on a TBSS manifold and just didn't have the "look" I expected. I know they work, and look good once ceramic coated, but bare, they look cheap so I opted for a good set and went with Doug Thorley. All in all they fit great. Even installed the Lokar ACA-1800 shift linkage and it clears. (barely).

Also went with the Entropy radiator and electric fan option. Fit like a glove. When I had BP Automotive I had him wire it for the 2 speed fans. Both fans run at low speed once they reach temperature. I haven't had the truck running long enough for them to kick in high gear but I upgraded to a 145 amp alternator to make sure I had the bases covered. The Entropy radiator I purchased had the built in transmission cooler. (hence the braided lines attached to it) Don't stare too hard at the green line, it's just what I used for my temporary steam line.

Another addition is the hidden trailer hitch. I don't plan on towing (BIG) items but a small utility trailer here and there is now do-able in the future. The install was a bit of hassle simply due to the fact of the cross member location for my fuel tank. A bit of patience and I got her stuck in there.

I am currently finishing up the wiring on the front end and with my DD gauges. Will post some updated pics of that soon.

Also headed to the exhaust shop tomorrow to get some pipes put on her. Right now it has open headers and it is a bit obnoxious driving around. LOL. Will most likely go with a true dual / h-pipe set up.

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote