View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
jocko

Re: Manual Disc/Drum Master Cylinder??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen717 View Post
Sorry to revive this thread but I am having trouble finding a 71/72 manual mc for my truck, I'm swapping the body onto a 1972 frame that came with discs up front and have upgraded the braking system so it has wilwood dual piston calipers up front (yes I know that these are overkill for my truck but I got a good deal on them) and 14 bolt drums in the rear, I have everything fitting nice enough to roll the frame around the shop and I'm about to start swapping the body over but I need to upgrade from the drum mc that came on the 69. I would like to stay with manual brakes but like I said I'm having trouble finding the manual mc for my truck. It's a c20 frame. Does anyone know where I can find one?
I believe power brakes became standard in 71/72 for 3/4 ton and above (remained optional on 1/2 tons) - this could be why you can't find a manual MC in that year range - if you're searching for a C20 MC. And note that the C10 and C20 MCs are indeed different in 71/72. I'd sort out a way to add the booster, you won't regret it. May I ask what the hesitance to adding a booster is? Aesthetics for a custom build or something like that? One comment - since you've upgraded to a very capable front disk system and have drums on the back - I think an adjustable prop valve, though not a stock item on a 71/72 disk/drum system, would be a good idea in your application. Would also like to ask about your brake lines - have you updated the front lines so that you have 1/4 to rear drums (still) and new 3/16 lines to front disks? While the original 1/4 all the way around from the previous all drum system will "work" - it's not optimized for a disk system up front (at least not a stock one).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote