View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
blindbug

Project "Blue Dog" - 86' Custom Deluxe

What is going on guys and gals. I guess if I don't start my build thread soon, I will never get it started. So here goes nothing!

The Primer - Why am I here?

Well, to say that I've been dreaming about getting my hands on an old truck (or car) for the last 15+ years would be an understatement. I have always been into cars and trucks, and have always wanted to get into the hobby (for lack of a better term).

My affinity towards the GM Squarebody, of all the possibilities, came from my father. He owns a 1986 GMC Sierra 1500 in black, and has owned that truck since I was 4 years old. I have fond memories of that truck, and after 10 years of pestering him to pass it on to me, I finally had to give in and pursue my own Squarebody.

Finding 'Blue Dog'

For the last 5 years or so, I've been putting aside money and SEARCHING. Searching for an old truck, specifically... I had my eyes on a 85-87 C10 or Sierra, a 78-79' Big Ten, or a 64' C10. In that time, I've only came across (3) trucks that passed my refined eye (and more importantly my budget). One of those sold out from under me before I could take it for a test drive, and the other was an owner without a title.

Finally, one day last fall my brother (who knows my affection to the square bodies) messaged me with a picture of a Facebook ad he had saw. It was an 1986 C10 Short Bed Custom Deluxe, and from what I could tell it was nearly RUST FREE... which is hard to come by in the great state of Kentucky. I asked him to set up a meet time and the next morning I headed out on a 3 hour drive to see this thing, and hopefully finally satisfy this itch that I've had for so long.

I get there, and am greeted with 'there's a problem'... UH OH, here we go again! Turns out, the owner has misplaced the keys and therefore we can't start it. While the owner is in the house looking for the keys, my brother, father and I inspect the truck to confirm it is rust free, with a 350 v8 (swapped from a 1975 C20 I now know) and meets all the qualifications I was looking for (rust free being a huge one).

At this point, I am ready to buy the truck IF we can start it so we decided that we would go into town and buy a new ignition switch to replace the one on the truck. But PRESTO, the owner emerged from the house with the fabled key. Put it in the ignition and it starts up from cold on the first try!

Needless to say, it has issues. Power Steering Fluid has a leak somewhere (I think it's the gearbox), Oil leaks a little bit from some place (the front oil pan?), Radiator might be leaky as well, it needed an new battery and plenty of fluids. Yes, its a bit degraded, but there's no rust... and by george, it's MINE and I love it!

Name:  IMG_6961.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6953.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6956.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6955.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  90.5 KB