View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #262
buffydores

Re: 1978 Russet Metallic 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
Like you said, since they'll have people there too I'd just bring things that may be either unique to your truck, or things that you'd just feel comfortable knowing you've got. For the brakes I'd normally say you're probably not going to be going fast enough for it to matter, however if the traffic line is close together that could be bad!
I adjust my driving patterns to the performance of the vehicle. So wide berths for me.

Also, after running it about fifty miles, I started to bleed transfer case fluid like a stuck pig. It took me awhile looking at it with the good folks at Foreign & Classic today to figure it out. It was the improper clocking of the rear output housing. Here's what I think was happening. Because it was clocked, the air vent tube was not directly on top of the housing. As the housing filled up with oil, the air vent hole would get submerged in fluid. Now the air couldn't escape. As things warmed up the air expands creating pressure on the fluid pressing the fluid up the vent tube or out the seal or the sleeve. Since oil was being refreshed into that part of the housing, the oil level didn't lower to where the air could escape, so it would keep pushing oil out. So, we clocked the rear housing to where I remembered it, and lo and behold, the vent is pointing straight up and we're no longer bleeding oil. Feels good.

The twin stick starts to rattle a bit at speed, so I'm gonna piece together an isolater that will also prevent inadvertent shifts of the 4x4 levers.

Last edited by buffydores; 09-25-2017 at 05:05 PM.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote