View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
cyberpine

Re: 87 TBI to Carb conversion

Guys - I do really appreciate all your valuable feedback.

I'll preface this by saying I'm clearly no mechanic. So it's going to seem like I'm wasting my time, money and space a bit.

Update: I got the truck back. The guy that helped me out with it is a good guy, but I'm not sure he had everything he needed to really solve the problem. Honestly, not sure he did much but to take wild stabs in the dark frankly.

He replaced a Holley Throttle Body with some factory TBI he found. He says the model number matches the OEM for my truck. He also told me the temp sensor (which is brand new and you guys pointed for me) is disconnected now and I learned so is the Map Sensor (which is a swap). He said and (I confirmed) , the truck will not run with either connected at this point. I have a bag with all my old parts.

The truck is running, but clearly things are not entirely right. That said, the truck has never run l or idled as well since I've had it this past year.

When I picked up the truck last night it was out of gas and it was dark, so when I would hit the gas it looks like the pump would suck air and choke. If I kept one foot on the accelerator and hit the gas it would feel pretty strong.So I had it towed home (AAA - It has no tag) and added fuel on the trip home. This morning, It started right up and drove it. It has not driven that well in months.

I uploaded a video of this test drive. I'm sorry, it's annoyingly bad with the camera focusing on the steering wheel and gauges for too long. But will give you a picture of how it's running.

I'd like to also go back and append to my original question, Would it be a terrible idea to mount a Carb on top of existing intake? I have a 3704 EdelBrock TBI intake. Even possible? Is there an adapter? too restrictive? What carb? This guy agreed to do the install cheap. I understand I can get rid of all that electrical/sensory and mysterious crap, but I will need to add an external fuel pump.

Many Thanks again for any ideas or suggestions!

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)

Last edited by cyberpine; 10-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote