View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Rear brake upgrade: 11” to 13”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Hauler View Post
I would like to do this on the 14 bolt I have in my 75 k/20. are all the 13" brakes the same on these, is there anything I should stay awAy from? 3/4 and 1 ton the same? im sure ill have to by a couple of those kits as mine have been apart several times before
Posted via Mobile Device
No, actually….not all are the same. The only difference I found is the 1984 and later rigs, albeit 11” or 13”, have a different e-brake connection at the brake drum backing plate. The earlier ones have a two bolt fastening method at the brake drum backing plate while the later have are a push in design. The good news is the Bendix backing plates are very universal in that a backing plate from a 9.5” semi-float POS axle with 13 x 2 brakes is the same as the backing plate for 13 x 3.5 on the big 10.5” full-floaters.

In my next situation where I will be putting a ’78 10.5” axle in an ’89 Suburban I must use the ’89 Suburban’s 9.5” axles backing plates on the 10.5” axle in order to use the later design park brake cables. YES…….Confusing, I know! Since I run manual transmission is almost everything I own a park brake is a must!

Got to love GM for their consistency in parts interchangeability though! Just figuring out the correct concoction of parts to make it all work is fun part.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote