View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
SCOTI

Re: Rear axle (not rear end) swap - 6 lug to 5 lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg63 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys.
I have had the rear end apart a few times, so I am no stranger to danger. I planned on staying with rear drum brakes. I have a complete 5 lug front disc set up, but before I put that in I want to have the rear dealt with.

I am pretty sure that I have 30 spline, 6 lug axles. I would like to know if there is a stock rear end out there that would be able to donate it's 5 lug axles into my current housing.

Would it help if I measured the width of the housing from flange to flange?
Greg
As mentioned, the 'transition' year was 70. Some housings were the shorter 63-69 housing; others were wider like 71-87 housings. If you have one of the wider 70 housings w/6-lug axles, you can swap the later 5-lug axles. From what I understand, these a few & far between w/the majority being the narrower housings when 6-lug. The wider housings measure approx 9" from the back-side of the backing plate flange to the center-line of the truck-arm perch on the housing (as measured from the center of the axle tube @ the 12:00 position).

Otherwise (and the better choice) there's aftermarket. New, stronger axles w/zero bearing or torsional wear.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote