View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
Scot_Douglas
Fabrication OCD

Re: Starting my first build - 1966 C10

Well, today I started to tear down the engine I bought - these are the specs that were listed:

Quote:
The motor is a 377-CID stroker combination :
- 350 block STD bore and a 400 crank machined to fit the 350 journals.
- 5.565" rods and STD 350 pistons
- 4 bolt main block with fresh cylinder hone
- Hydraulic flat tappet cam, 224 Int/ 234 Exh @ 0.050" lift
- All new bearings and gaskets.
- Heads are GM 882 casting with mild port and polish job,76cc. 9.5:1 compression, with 2.02/1.60 valves
- Intake is gasket matched to the heads
- Engine is painted blue
- Intake is powder coated oxide red
I'm much more versed in rebuilding motorcycle engines, but I don't think a few things are right...

These "new bearings" sure look funny...

Must have used a different gasket to do the matching...

I got cheated on my dial gauge! Clearly, I have 2.02" intake valves, but my calipers must be off...

Something for no extra charge!

These must be for improved oiling:

Sigh. What a BLEEPING mess. "Fresh hone" must mean knocking down the ridge until you go through a set of stones.

I bought this engine from someone that bought it from someone else that traded something for it in the beginning - so, I'm not about to go trying to get my money back. Looks like I'll have a bit more work to do.

I haven't plastiguaged the mains yet - just the four of the rods... and they are from 0.007 to 0.03. (that's NOT a typo). I hope to hell the mains are in spec and I can get away with having the crank cleaned up and the rods resized - though who knows what else is hosed with this damn thing.
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote