View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #39
jocko

Re: New replica tow hooks!

Finally got home, got a chance to look a little closer than on my tiny phone. Isn't it some sort of copyright infringement to leave the GM part # on them? Back to the "once they are in circulation" comment from one of our very keen members - how would you even know what you have if you buy these 5 years down the road? How could you differentiate between original GM and these unless you could look at a stack of pictures of originals like we have at our disposal here on the board? Yes, many use them for decoration. Then again, many folks trucks are actually used as decoration (I don't get to drive mine nearly as much as I'd like to) but that's not the point - this really DOES kinda bug me the more I think about it. It is a safety hazard - or, at the very least, an unknown capability, when using these rather than a real set. If there are no specs associated/listed with them (and we'd need to know the original hook specs as well), there's no way to know what you're dealing with - that would be like Coker re-popping a 10 ply HD tire with all the original markings yet only making it with 4 plies... I'm glad I bought a set of hooks before the market was flooded with fakes! At least I know if I do use them I won't decapitate the gopher that crosses between my truck and whatever I'm pulling out of a ditch. I wouldn't hesitate to use mine if the need or opportunity popped up, it's what they are there for.

Last edited by jocko; 01-22-2018 at 10:42 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote