Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #643
gigamanx

Re: S10 Swap how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzbusa View Post
Had a question guys. My 50 chevy has nothing in the engine bay nor the inside of the cab. I only have the steering column of a 93 s10. It sits on a 94 s10 frame. Do you guys recommend i buy a running vehicle with the engine/trans combo i want and use everything and anything i can from that vehicle? (Seat, driveshaft, trans oil cooler, brake booster...) Or should i just buy the engine/trans pullout and then get the other stuff from a junk yard as i need it? Want to see what route would cause me less headaches. Thanks in advance!
I'd say it depends on what your ultimate goal is for your truck. I just tore down my S10 this year and plan to put a V8 engine in it. What's left of the S10? Suspension, steering box and arms, frame, brakes. That's it. I had to get a wiring harness, I chose to get a steering column because a $180 craigslist one looks way better than the stock S10 in an old truck. Ultimately, I'd say there is very little of the S10 still left. Now, part of that reason is because of the engine change, so I didn't need the wiring harness anymore. I also couldn't fit my existing transmission, so I had to source on of those too.

(I do have a 2.8L v6, wiring harness, and matching transmission if you can find a way to ship it to Texas )

If you're already rolling on an S10 chassis with suspension, steering, and brakes, there isn't much value in tearing apart another one unless the plan is to drive with the V6 engine and trans it comes with. If your dreams are for an LS swap with a 4L60E or similar transmission, then an engine and transmission pull with a new wiring harness makes much more sense, IMO.

I am on truck 1 of 1, there are others who have done a bunch of these builds. I believe I asked the seat question before and the S10 seat doesn't fit the Chevy 3100 cab.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote