Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #5500
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

so the gentleman who sold me this unit said it came out of a first gen Fire bird, but that it was NOT native to the car, he was very clear about that

well I was so excited at the time that it went in one ear and out the other, I'm sure some of you can relate to that, it's part of the impulse buy protocol, blinders on, and we hear what we wanna hear

so the first mistake I made or the first lesson I learned was that out of all them cars you can get the Saginaw out of, the Vega/Monza configuration is the worst one you can get which is exactly what we have here, a Vega transmission / shifter setup

Huh? What? Why?

When the General installed the Saginaw in the Vega or Monza he decided to mount the shifter to the floor of the car!!! No! Instead of the transmission itself as God intended.

So the number one reason for me getting this trans (that being cause it came with the shifter and linkage) just went out the window, and I found myself on eBay looking for a different shifter and rods.

The Vega shifter also was not a Hurst but some generic GM piece of junk and it was all warn out, I tried to rebuild it but gave up...
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-23-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote