View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Core support sheen & battery acid

Core sheen:

I had the impression the factory sheen for the under carriage and engine compartment was satin. These are the original "gussets" for the core support and fender. I cleaned them up with a nylon brush, which dulled them up a bit.

I'm no paint expert, but to me they look semi-gloss bordering on gloss. What's your opinion on the original sheen for a core support?

Battery acid:

Thought I had a rust free body until I came to this RH gusset, which I'm 99% sure is due to battery acid. It wasted the battery tray. I still need to clean the core support, which looks solid (and white). No more than surface rust on the RH fenders, once I busted through the acid anyway.

I'm fully responsible for said battery acid. While I kept my engine compartment clean, I used to buy cheap batteries, AND always left the negative side loose for "convenience". It was a top post battery, which may have been a contributor. Just an assumption here, but seems top posts create more external acid than side posts. For any Toyota owners anyway, you probably can relate.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote