View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Is limited slip or a locker worth it for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post
I have a 2wd Z71 07 silverado 1500HD classic. I will be moving back home to Idaho next month, and im a bit worried about driving my truck in the snow next winter. They had a lot more than average snow fall this last winter.

I was thinking that if i got a locker or limited slip set up, i might get some help in the traction department. I know nothing of rearends, so howhard would it be to add something like this to my truck? How much would something like this cost?

Im pretty sure my truck has an open diff with 373 gears. Im also planing on picking up aother set of rims and getting some studded tires. let me know what you guys think. I will try to attach a pic of my trucks spid.
You want a limited slip, having a locker in the snow is not exactly fun especially with no front drive axle to help pull along. As far as installing, it is pretty involved I do not remember if you have to check backlash on the gearset because you are reusing the same gear set and using the same shims on both sides (I would check to be sure). I think the carrier will be ok as limited slips come in ratio's as low as 3.08. My 81 has a detroit locker in the back and a true trac posi in the front. I have had my rig in the snow once and I had to BABY it around corners in 2wd so it would not come around on me once in 4wd it was a ton better, so add a posi for your application.

Adding a posi will probably cost around 800-1000$ depending on who does the work, the posi itself is about 450$. Traction adders and gears are not cheap and require a skilled person to install properly, the rear end will eat itself very quickly if not installed properly.

Also, I find it odd how your truck is a z71 2wd and doesn't even have a posi in the back strange.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote