View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #28
homemade87

Re: Starter just keeps going?

[QUOTE=bennylava;8059207]I too have heard a good deal about Optima's... decline in quality over the years. Since you seem to be someone who knows about batteries, do you happen to have any alternative recommendations to the Optima? Another dual purpose deep cycle battery? Perhaps one known for somewhat higher quality and less known for premature failures.

I too have read some about the optima . I only had one that was gave to me because it was not doing its job . I did manage to bring it back to life with a pulse charger . It lasted quite a few years but it was one of the old ones that was first built way back when .

If looking for a battery suggestion I would recommend a Deka made by east pen company . I have been using them for a long time with good success . I generally get 7 years out of them before they start to show there age , but I do take care of my batteries and do not neglect them . My daily driver or the vehicles I drive frequent I do nothing to . The vehicle takes care of it when driven . The other batteries that sit I charge about every 5 to 6 weeks just to keep them topped off . I have a pulse charger that helps keep them conditioned and only leave it on only enough to get the battery to 100% . ( never leave a pulse charger on long term , it will dry the battery out ) . Use a battery maintainer if you want to leave it hooked up . I have a lot of batteries and just rotate my chargers to keep them topped off . This has saved me hundreds of dollars .

This is one of the batteries I would think you could use . A 78 series is about as big as you can usually fit . http://www.dekabatteries.com.au/autospecfits.shtml .

If yours is a top post This would work fine .http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/9A78DT/ It also has side post if needed . I have one like this and use the side post for accessories .

Hope this helps and sorry for the long response . Its important to keep batteries full charged . It ok to cycle this battery . Use the power and charge it right back . I have a good friend that just don't get it and cant understand why he only gets 3 to 4 years out of a battery .

Last edited by homemade87; 10-12-2017 at 08:07 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote