View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #45
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

More progress over the weekend. Plus today is my day off so still screwing around while the sun is out. Which has been a rarity lately.

The front end has been a nightmare. Taking apart 40 year old stuff always has bad things rear their ugly head. One of the lower control arms on the '69 frame is cracked from eons of rust where the shaft goes through it. The upper control arms were rust welded to the point they don't even move.

When I removed them the studs that hold the upper arms to the frame pretty much stripped all the threads away. So I'm sure it's just a matter of beating them out and beating new ones in. Fun times.

The arms from the '69 are all not in that great of shape, whereas the stuff from the '72 are in really good shape. So the '72 arms will get a cleaning and be used for this build.

Also the lower control arm cross shaft saddles came off the crossmember and the rivet that centers the shaft fell apart from rust. I'm sure there is an easy fix for this, but maybe I'm just over thinking things. So I have to address that too.

Getting the rear coils out was a bigger job than I wanted it to be. I had to grind off the bolt heads of the lower bolts as they were rust welded into the cups. They've been sitting for 4 days with PB Blaster soaking them. Still nada... so out came the grinder. I got the passenger side coil out and the upper cup off. But the drivers side upper bolt and nut is not budging. So the hot wrench and grinder will probably be used on that one too.

I keep telling myself how much fun this is.

But progress is being made!

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.